New Registration Links for AASHTO COVID-19 Panel Serieseditor@aashto.org April 10, 2020 0 COMMENTS
The American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials Committee on Transportation System Security and Resilience (CTSSR) has specific registration links available for its three remaining “virtual panel discussions” aimed at helping state department of transportation leaders stay up-to-date on the latest news regarding the COVID-19 pandemic.
The panels are partially envisioned to serve as a “support group” for state DOTs facing COVID-19 emergency situations. But they are also forums for gathering and learning from the transportation impacts of the current pandemic and how they can be applied to future emergencies, including natural disasters such as hurricanes.
Another discussion thread within these panels deals with how to improve multi-agency partnerships and emergency response efforts – especially in terms of building multi-agency ties before, and not during, emergency efforts.
There will also be an emphasis on fine-tuning continuing of operations or COOP plans to help state DOTs maintain transportation systems during disease pandemics, as managing contagion outbreaks requires different protocols compared to COOP plans for wildfires, hurricanes, and the like.
The virtual panel series launched on April 8 and a recording of that initial session can be accessed here. It featured insights from:
- Jason Carnes, Federal Highway Administration
- David Cooper, Transportation Security Administration
- Nancy Pomerleau, Department of Homeland Security
- Jim Pappas, Deputy Director, Delaware Department of Transportation and CTSSR Vice Chair
- Ed Sniffen, Deputy Director, Hawaii Department of Transportation and CTSSR Chair
The CTSSR launched a survey during the April 8 session to gather feedback regarding state DOT COVID-19 response and recovery challenges. That feedback will guide the programming of the next sessions as well as identify additional COVID-19 technical assistance needs required by state and local transportation agencies.
For registration details on the remaining virtual panel sessions, please use the links below:
- Wednesday, April 15, from 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Eastern: click here.
- Wednesday, April 22, from 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Eastern: click here.
- Wednesday, April 29, from 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Eastern: click here.