FTA Funding to Support Access to Affordable Transportationeditor@aashto.org August 12, 2022 0 COMMENTS
The Federal Transit Administration is making $6 million available through a notice of funding opportunity issued August 9 as part of an effort to improve access to “affordable transportation,” especially in areas that currently lack efficient and convenient transit options. Proposals are due to the agency by October 14.
[Above photo by FTA]
“Transit can be a great equalizer, but for many Americans, such options are limited or simply don’t exist,” said FTA Administrator Nuria Fernandez in a statement.
“This new program will help eliminate barriers to affordable transportation and improve access to jobs, school, healthcare, friends and family – all of the ingredients for a good quality of life,” she said.
FTA noted it would collaborate with organizations selected for grants through the newly created Mobility, Access and Transportation Insecurity: Creating Links to Opportunity Program to establish a research and demonstration program aimed at improving access to affordable transportation options for everyday destinations.
The agency said it plans to share findings with the public so research organizations, transit agencies, and others can learn from and expand upon the insights developed from this FTA-funded research.
- Investing in American infrastructure and communities;
- Making transportation safer;
- Reducing transportation costs in household budgets;
- Making the nation’s transportation systems more equitable;
- Building more resilient and sustainable transportation systems to benefit and protect communities; and
- Investing in research and innovation.